The most adventurous honeymoon destinations for 2022
Wild Frontiers is offering a number of spectacular itineraries for newlyweds this year
Getting married is often said to be the biggest adventure of a person’s life, but many couples have missed out on the opportunity to jump-start the new phase of their lives in an exciting way, due in no small part to the global pandemic.
With travel back on the cards, now is the perfect time to celebrate those missed milestones and book an adventurous honeymoon for 2022. To that end, Tempus has teamed up with adventure tour operator Wild Frontiers for a look at some of the most intriguing and romantic itineraries available for newlyweds this year.
One of the most unique destinations for any honeymoon, Jordan is a country of romance and history. Lying at the centre of one of the most fascinating regions on Earth, Jordan is an enthralling mix of natural beauty, timeless tradition and a cultural heritage that can trace its history back to the Romans, the Nabateans and the Old Testament.
This stylish journey through the Hashemite Kingdom combines exclusive and romantic five-star comforts with a historical pedigree that goes back thousands of years. Beginning amongst the hot springs and hiking trails around Ma’in and the Wadi Mujib National Park, couples will then have a chance to explore the stunning Roman city of Jerash and the Crusader fortress of Kerak before continuing on to the ‘Rose Red City’ of Petra.
After a chance to explore one of the most extraordinary archaeological sites anywhere in the Middle East, couples can then drive through the captivating desert landscapes of Wadi Rum to a luxurious spa on the shores of the Dead Sea, where they can relax amongst the restorative waters of this remarkable setting before returning to Amman.
- Drive through captivating desert landscapes of Wadi Rum to a luxurious spa on the shores of the Dead Sea
- Enjoy a hot air balloon ride over the red desert of Wadi Rum
- Spend time by the turquoise waters of Aqaba, home to some of the best snorkelling in the region
- Enjoy a delicious wine tasting and cooking class in the heart of Jordan’s capital – Amman
- Imagine dramatic chariot races as you visit the splendid Roman streets of Jerash
A luxury journey with a difference, this incredible adventure takes couples deep into the heart of Borneo’s wild country. Staying at some of the finest hotels, lodges and resorts that Sabah and Sarawak have to offer, couples will journey from the stilted villages of Sandakan to the golden sands of Gaya Island, on an adventure that encapsulates the remarkable diversity of this stunning destination. After visiting the orangutans, sun bears and proboscis monkeys of Sepilok, head next into the mangrove forests of the Kinabatangan Sanctuary, travelling by boat into one of the world’s most biodiverse landscapes.
It is then onto Danum Valley via the Gomantong Caves, famous for its nesting swiftlets and bats, to walk along the towering canopy walkways and admire the sounds and sights from the jacuzzi. The end of this fantastic journey then sees couples enjoying the marine treasures surrounding Gaya Island in your own luxurious villa. Go kayaking, snorkelling or simply relax on the beach as you reflect on the fantastic wildlife sightings of this stylish adventure.
- Enjoy the hospitality of some of Borneo’s finest properties, from jungle hideaways to a coral reef island
- Meet with the founder of the Sun Bear Conservation Centre who will give you a private tour and insight into his work
- Watch magical fireflies light up the river on a sunset cruise and go in search of the nocturnal animals
- Trek through the 130-million-year-old rainforest of the Danum Valley and walk the 130-metre-tall canopy walk and admire the sounds and sights from the jacuzzi
The perfect destination and itinerary for a bit of a treat, Colombia offers an enviable mix of culture, activity and relaxation. Filled with unexplored potential, the country is an amazing blend of golden beaches, colonial charm and biodiverse landscapes that are sure to provide the setting for a holiday of a lifetime.
Beginning in the bustling capital of Bogota, couples will get to know the ins and outs of the city as well as the country with a thorough tour before embarking on a journey across a landscape scattered with tropical, fertile plains; remote Caribbean islands; and picturesque colonial architecture. Fly to the little-visited Llanos region for a glimpse into Colombian cowboy life, then head to the trendy city of Medellin for a stay at one of the country's more stylish coffee haciendas. There will be an opportunity to try some of the finest coffee in the world, try a cooking class and enjoy hiking with a gourmet picnic.
Finally, making your way up north you will find yourself in the immensely important historic town of Cartagena, where the ‘touring’ part of the trip concludes amongst the UNESCO treasures of one of the largest Spanish cities in the Americas. Before your flight home, end with a few days of relaxation on the Caribbean island of Providencia and its untamed jungle and idyllic beaches.
- Relax on a Caribbean Colombian island
- Enjoy cocktails and a rum tasting in the UNESCO city of Cartagena
- Live the life of a Colombian cowboy in the Llanos savannahs
- Enjoy gourmet picnics, luxury tasting menus and a typical cowboy barbecue
- Tour the capital’s historic centre and grand colonial buildings
Kenya is so much more than its game-rich national parks. A land rich in natural and cultural highlights, it can boast drama, majesty and some of the most idyllic coastline in East Africa. This exceptional adventure is aimed at travellers looking to enjoy Kenya’s most exclusive and unique properties, along with the wonderful range of experiences they have to offer, with everything included in the price.
Following a flight into Nairobi, couples will be whisked off on a private charter to the spectacular Laikipia Plateau, where a stunning hillside lodge awaits you. Here they can enjoy game drives, guided walks, mountain biking and camel safaris, whilst your luxurious villa provides the ideal spot for a relaxing massage. The villa also comes with a butler service for the ultimate romantic, care-free Kenyan safari experience.
From Laikipia it is then on to Masai Mara, undoubtedly the most iconic national park in Kenya. Witness the spectacular wildlife as the sun sets from the lodge’s Nest tree house. Next, fly to historic Lamu Island on Kenya’s east coast. Here couples will board a traditional wooden dhow and spend the next few days cruising through the azure waters of the Lamu Archipelago, enjoying beach picnics and a chance to snorkel, fish and water ski in the clear waters of the Indian Ocean.
- Explore the stunning Laikipia Plateau on horseback, camelback, mountain bike or quad bike
- Track wildlife in the world-renowned Maasai Mara National Park
- Indulge in the luxury of a butler service, gorgeous safari properties and world-class activities
- Enjoy white sands, warm waters and beachside picnics off Lamu
- Visit historic Lamu Island and enjoy sundowners on the deck
- Be pampered at some of Kenya’s top lodges